Gas Station Locations and Impacts
Thanks to Lewin for some helpful research on location issues with large, busy gas stations. The full article is here.
Given the impacts and corrective measures described above, an optimum convenience store-gas station location would have the following characteristics:
- At least 300 feet from the nearest home; or
- Buffered so the store cannot be seen or heard from the nearest home;
- For ultra-high volume gas stations, a minimum if 300 feet away;
- Not within view of historic resources;
- Away from highly sensitive ground or surface water resources;
- Accessible by foot and bike as well as cars;
- Located in a downtown or neighborhood commercial area;
- Well lit, but not to the point of causing light trespass into nearby homes;
- In an area with many passersby and few escape routes for criminals; and
- In an area where the market can accommodate a new store without putting existing ones out of business.