The committee has updates on its site about two matters:
Improvements to Bee Ridge Road - thanks to property tax cuts, the construction will begin later, and take longer, than originally anticipated.
Palmer Place Housing Overlay - this is heading for final approval on August 29, 2007. The BRNC has several concerns about this new housing development:
- Intensity – Palmer Place increases the area’s density by 60 percent while occupying less than 10 percent of the land.
see BRNC Intensity Illustration (1mb) >>
- Timing – Palmer Place gains a significant density increase without providing any affordable housing.
- Integration – Palmer Place violates best practices by segregating the affordable villages from the market rate ones.
- Subsidies – Palmer Place pricing scheme requires tens of millions of dollars in additional taxpayer subsidies.
- Palmer Blvd. –Palmer Blvd. must be improved to county standards between Iona Rd. and Webber Rd. before Palmer Place is built.