Late Breaking Info on Sidewalk Project
Sarasota County Communications scgov.net | 941.861.5000 | TV 19
Jan. 2, 2008
Media Contact: Susan Walsh, 941-861-0951 or 941-650-4791, firstname.lastname@example.org
Project Contact: Pinky Pakalapati, 941-861-0931 or 232-5390 (cell), email@example.com
Construction to begin Jan. 7 on sidewalks, water main
Construction of the Lakeview Elementary School Area Sidewalks and the Jarvis Road Water Main Extension in the Lake Sarasota neighborhood is scheduled to begin the week of Jan. 7.
In December, the Sarasota County Commission awarded the $1.6 million construction contract to Frederick Derr & Company Inc. of Sarasota, the lowest of seven bidders. The project is expected to be complete in September 2008.
The project covers a total of 3.06 miles of 5-foot-wide sidewalks on the following 11 roadway segments:
- East side of Berkshire Drive from Java Drive to Bee Ridge Road
- South side of Brentford Road from Berkshire Drive to Marlborough Place
- North/northeast side of Friendship Drive from Allan Place to Westminister Drive
- East side of Palau Drive from Malden Way to Hina Drive
- South side of Hina Drive from Middlesex Place to Brentford Road
- South side of Jarvis Road from Suva Way to Lago Way
- West side of Lago Way from Lago Street to Mauna Loa Boulevard
- South side of Lanai Drive from Mauna Loa Boulevard to Tarawa Drive
- West side of Middlesex Place from Hina Drive to Bee Ridge Road
- West side of Wake Avenue from Berkshire Drive to Bee Ridge Road
- East side of Westminister Drive from Tema Lane to Brentford Road.
The sidewalk work also includes driveway reconstruction, drainage improvements, utility adjustments, grading and sod, pavement markings and signage. The utility portion of the contract calls for construction of a total of 2,500 feet of an 8-inch potable water main extension along sections of Jarvis Road, Lago Way and Lago Street.
Funding for the sidewalks is from a transportation bond to be repaid by communication services taxes; the utility portion will be funded from rates.
For more information about the sidewalk and water main project, contact the Sarasota County Call Center at 941-861-5000 and ask for Road Program Construction.