County Approves Bee Ridge Road Improvements
The long-planned improvements to Bee Ridge Road Road east of I-75 have been given the go-ahead. Here is a statement from the Bee Ridge Neighborhoods Committee, with a project timeline:
At their regularly scheduled meeting of April 24, the Sarasota County Commissioners voted (5-0) to have staff proceed with the necessary bonding requirements to insure all funding is in place for the Bee Ridge Improvement project when the next County Construction Improvement Program is published.
There was approximately a $10 million gap between available funding and anticipated requirements. The gap has now been closed via bonding. Barring unforeseen circumstances, the original schedule will be followed:
- 60% Low Impact Design Plans available for Public review -- approximately June 2012
- Design, Engineering and Permitting completed -- approximately April 2013
- Right of way purchases -- ongoing
- Bids for Construction and selection of Contractor -- approximately 2nd Quarter 2013
- Construction start -- approximately Oct 2013
- Completion -- approximately Dec. 2014
The funding support Bee Ridge has received means we have reached a very significant milestone in our efforts to have the road replaced. We look forward to a new road that will be safe, asthetically attractive, and meet environmental needs of the area.
It has been eight years since the Committee began its work. We wish to thank everyone who has supported the project, whether financially or through their volunteer services.
The Committee will continue to be involved in the project until it is completed.